Ellen is the tutor of 10-year-old Cincia; both first appeared in Lethal Crash Race. In the Sonic Wings games, because Cincia wants to fly with Project Blue, Ellen must accompany her. The two fly together except in Sonic Wings Assault, where Cincia stays home and Ellen works as the radio operator for Project Blue. Ellen is a "superwoman" who can do just about anything, from housework to battle.
Ellen has blond hair and blue eyes. She wears different outfits throughout the series. In Sonic Wings 3, she is dressed for her wedding, but no mention is made in later games of her being married. Official materials indicate that it seems that she didn't get married after all, since she is still working as Cincia's tutor.
Ellen and Cincia drive together in Lethal Crash Race, where they represent New Zealand. Interestingly, their car is a Lamborghini Diablo, on which the Diabloon of Turbo Force is based. If the player wins the game with Ellen and Cincia, they return to Cincia's mansion. Ellen agrees with Cincia that the race was fun, but she and Cincia's maid pull out a stack of books on driving for Cincia to study.
Ellen's two-player version has a slightly different shade of hair, lighter eyes, and an orange suit.
Young women take to the sky
Cindy, eccentric daughter of a millionaire, and Ellen, Cindy's tutor, fight together, all on Cindy's whim.
-Aerofighters 2 English game manual
Ellen is constantly concerned for Cincia's safety, but she also tries to make Cincia behave properly as well. After the final boss battle, Ellen and Cincia return home to Cincia's mansion. Ellen calls Cincia, warning her that she'll be late for school, but Cincia isn't worried: she flies off to class in their airplane.
In two-player mode, Cincia and Ellen can be paired with any of the other pilots:
- Angela: At first, Cincia and Ellen think that Angela is arrogant and stuck up (with good reason); however, they eventually work together. In fact, Cincia and Ellen are the better fighters. After the final boss battle, the three decide that they need to get into better shape, so they go to train with Keith Bishop from Sonic Wings.
- Arthur: Cincia and Ellen don't especially like Arthur; they call him a brat and long for him to go to sleep so they won't have to deal with him. (And somehow, when he does go to sleep, he still manages to fly his plane.) After they defeat the final boss, Arthur declares that he had to do all the work, which causes Cincia to spank him for being a "rude baby." (Then again, she may be spanking him because he groped Ellen's chest. . . .)
- Hien: Cincia isn't quite serious enough for Hien's tastes, but he does admire her and Ellen's fighting abilities. After the final boss battle, Hien disappears, and Ellen decides to become a female ninja... much to Cincia's embarrassment.
- Mecha-Keaton: Most of the dialogue between Keaton and the girls involves his new robotic body, particularly his need for "WD-50." In keeping with this theme, after the final boss battle, Keaton gets a tune-up from the mechanic Emma from Lethal Crash Race, who fills him up with a can of gasoline.
- Mao Mao: Mao Mao gets along extremely well with Cincia and Ellen; they often compliment one another on their fighting skills. After defeating the final boss, Mao Mao wants to form a music group with the two. Cincia loves the idea, but Ellen feels silly on stage.
- Silver: Cincia and Ellen are rude to Silver at first, calling him old and bald. Still, they admire his fighting skills, and they agree to rub his head for luck. After the final boss battle, Cincia asks Silver to come to her mansion. As it turns out, Cincia just wants Silver's parrot Flint for her own pet.
- Whity: Cincia thinks Whity is cute, but Ellen dismisses him as "just a dolphin." In fact, Ellen is something of a spoil-sport throughout the entire mission, while Cincia and Whity enjoy themselves. Eventually though, both girls appreciate Whity. After defeating the final boss, Cincia invites Whity to her private island, and the three play in the ocean.
Ellen and Cincia return to fight, on Ellen's wedding day, no less. Cincia is sympathetic, even though it was probably her idea to fight! Ellen worries over and takes care of her, even while fretting that she'll miss her own wedding. After defeating the final boss, Cincia comments that she's never seen Ellen's fiancé. Mecha-Keaton pops up with his customary line, "It's me! Keaton!" but Cincia is not impressed.
In two-player mode, Ellen and Cincia are paired with Alex. He and Cincia tend to bicker, and Cincia thinks he's childish and "fresh." Humorously, Cincia offers Pictus some squid after the pilots defeat Daio Ika; the others urge Pictus to reject it. After they defeat the final boss, Ellen is shown at her wedding; the guests include William Sid Pride, Arthur, and Mao Mao. Cincia serves as flower girl, and Lord River-n-White appears as the priest. When they reach the altar, Ellen finds her groom to be none other than Pictus with a human body! Fortunately, she wakes up to find out that it was only a dream.
One-Player Mode Endings:
- Boss battle with Pandora or Gurabura: Even after the girls defeat the enemy, it falls from the sky and crashes into a city, blowing it up.
- Boss battle with Lar or Do-ni Revision: As in their one-player ending in Sonic Wings 2, Ellen calls Cincia to go to school, but Cincia says she'll go in their plane instead. Unfortunately, Cincia crashes before getting very far.
- Boss battle with Balbi or Osaru: Ellen calls Cincia to another battle, and the girl turns up wearing a costume.
Two-Player Mode Endings:
- Boss battle with Pandora or Gurabura: Similar to her ending with Hien in Sonic Wings 2, Angela declares that Ellen is the one she's been searching for. She pulls off all her clothes, revealing herself to be a man, and asks Ellen to "accept my love without delay." Ellen reacts as Hien did. A rough translation of this scene is in the gallery below.
- Boss battle with Lar or Do-ni Revision: Angela wants to go shopping with Ellen and Cincia in Paris, but she's late. When she finally does show up, she's wearing an incredibly fancy outfit which Ellen finds ridiculous. A rough translation of this scene is in the gallery below.
- Boss battle with Balbi or Osaru: Similar to the two-player ending of Malcolm and Lord River-n-White and Kowful in Sonic Wings 3, Ellen, Cincia, and Angela go to Malcolm for training, but they aren't too sure about his techniques. This angers Malcolm, who attacks them with his "Malcolm Flash." A rough translation of this scene is in the gallery below.
"Miss, it's unreasonable for you to go to work now!": here in a large mansion in the center of England. Affected by entertainment programs on TV, Miss Cincia of the large mansion, who fights for peace, is falling asleep, wiped out with a cold. "I'm your guard in this mansion."
". . . Ellen, protecting me here is useless if it doesn't help the world."
"Ahh! Miss Cincia, I think that's a splendid attitude! I understand. I'll go to headquarters."
And Ellen went to the fighter plane's underground hangar. But. . .
"Ellen. . . I shouldn't come. I'm finished playing at destroying fighter planes and. . . well, um. . . I'm sorry, but keep quiet!"
". . ." Somehow, Ellen's participation may be reluctant.
-Sonic Wings Assault Japanese game manual
Ellen appears in Assault, not as a pilot but as a the radio operator for Project Blue; she provides the pilots with pertinent information about each mission both before and during the battle. She possibly operates from (and flies?) the aircraft carrier Goliath.
Ellen somehow has not aged since Sonic Wings 2. In the US version of the game, she is described as being from the USA, but the Japanese version describes her origin as "unknown," although she was still working as Cincia's tutor in England according to the user's guide.
Cincia's reasons for not participating are unclear from the dialogue in the user's guide; at first it seems as if she wants to go but Ellen won't let her because she has a cold. However, Cincia then declares that she is just tired of fighting on a whim and orders Ellen not to question her. Possibly she knows that, being ill, she would impede the mission.
Ellen is voiced by Rei Sakuma in the Japanese version of Assault and by Brandy Little in the US version.
Voice Samples Edit
- Ellen & Cincia's scream if their car is destroyed (Lethal Crash Race)
- From Sonic Wings Assault
- "Confirm mission objective. Your mission time is 900 seconds." (Aerofighters Assault)